Monday, September 12, 2011

I love my dresses, any day any time –Dabota Lawson

Twenty-four-year-old Dabota Lawson is ex-Miss Nigeria United Kingdom, 2009. She has just returned to the country to set herself up in the entertainment industry. Lawson, who works in a dredging company as the head of Operations, Finance, and also runs a public relations event management outfit, unveiled her style to us.



What was your reaction when you were announced winner of Miss Nigeria UK 2009/2010?

I think I was more shocked to be honest. At some point I was really confident and then when I got to the final stage, I was not really sure of myself anymore but I still had this smile on my face. Then, I heard my name but I could hear my sister from the crowd screaming. It was just like a shock to me, I was smiling all the way and I was so happy.



Did your parents support your contesting?

I did not tell my parents about it, I didn’t tell my friends to be honest because I am the kind of person who doesn’t want people to discourage or tell what to do. I don’t mind being advised, but after I won I called them up, everyone ran over and it was really wonderful.



What doors have been opened for you so far?

I have been able to work with the Nigerian Embassy in the United Kingdom and we have put together a few things when they had their independence last year. So, it’s been really great, lots of exposure, meeting with people and there are challenges as well but nothing that can’t be handled.



As an ex-beauty queen, what is your kind of style?

For me, I am simple, laid back person. I am a really tall and light-skinned person, so, I don’t feel the need to go overboard with the way I dress because wherever I go to, I am easily spotted. I don’t feel the need to go out of my way and I think less is more.





What is that fashion item you cannot do without as a woman?

I can’t do without my little black dress (LBD) because it goes with everything, suits and fits every occasion. I can accessorise it for a glam occasion, or I can tone it down with my flat sandal as a casual day outfit and I can wear it to work.



What is that clothing item you won’t be caught dead in?

I don’t think you can ever catch me wearing a three-quarter-length trouser because my legs are so skinny and it looks awkward.



If you have to flaunt, what part of your body can you show off?

My legs



But you just said your legs are so skinny

That is because with the three-quarter-length trouser, you can see a bit of what is left of my legs and it’s so skinny. It makes me look like I am not eating. But if I have a short dress maybe knee length, which shows my leg, then it is fine.



Your favourite signature perfume

That would be Chance by Chanel or Lola by Marc Jacobs because they are girly, fruity and nice.



Best colour

My best colours are black and peach. Peach is soft and black because it hides so much. It is like the other side of me.



What is your greatest fear in life?

Failure because sometimes it drives me to be great, other times it scares me away and stops me from doing and achieving certain things that I have doubts about.



What kind of clothes do you love to wear?

I love wearing summer and maxi dresses, I am not really a jeans person. I love my dresses, any day any time. When going out, it saves me the time of matching two things together; all I need to think about is my shoes and accessories.



With your height do you still wear high heels?

I am 5ft 11.When the need comes, yes I do.



Beauty routine

The usual Monday to Fridays would be to take a shower, moisturise morning and night. Then, at weekends body polishing, detoxifying because I believe you have to take care of yourself from the inside so it shows on the outside. So, I am not all about putting so much on me rather I eat well. I like going to the spa too.



Fashion style role models

I absolutely love Oluchi Orlando, Jazel and Tyra Banks. But Oluchi is number one.





How do you keep fit?

I maintain a regular healthy diet, take lots of vitamins, herbal teas and I walk out as well.



Hobbies

Whenever I have my free time, I am ready to play around with anything electronic. I am a gadget person.



Describe yourself in three words

Fun-loving person



Philosophy of life

Live everyday as it comes and enjoy yourself

No comments:

Post a Comment